Mentor: Shelby Babson, MOJOs Bar-B-Que
- What do you enjoy the most about mentoring?
- I enjoy seeing her grow as a student and person. Seeing her academic and social skills grow make it all worthwhile.
- How long have you been mentoring?
- Six months.
- What are some of things you and your mentee do during your session?
- We typically enjoy talking about life and studying together. This year we plan on reading books together and discussing them.
- What inspired you to become a mentor?
- I was taking a college course centered on children and it inspired me to volunteer. Doing some research led me to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Florida.
- What are some goals that you and your mentee set?
- We are working on improving her reading level and emotional well-being.
- What is your favorite memory with your mentee so far?
- Her face lit up when I came to visit her. I think about that moment all the time. Knowing that I have such an impact on someone’s day is a wonderful feeling.
- Is there anything you would like to share with others about your mentoring experience?
- The match is not just about what I can do for her as a mentor. She also helps me develop as a better person. We learn from each other.
Mentee: Donisha, Matthew Gilbert Middle School
- What do you like most about your mentor?
- I feel like she understands me and what I go through.
- What is the best advice you have received from your mentor?
- The best advice I received from her was to be myself and never feel self-conscious about it.
- What is your favorite memory with your mentor so far?
- It was one of the first times we met, and I learned that we had more in common that I originally thought.
- What are some accomplishments that you have accomplished with your mentor?
- She helped me improve academically and socially.
The following two tabs change content below.
United Way of Northeast Florida, a philanthropic organization, works to solve our community's toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas. We envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential.
Latest posts by United Way of Northeast Florida (see all)
- AFL Mentor Spotlight: Shelby Babson - October 6, 2017
- United Way kicks off annual campaign for community change - September 27, 2017
- More than $2 million pledged to local Irma relief effort - September 13, 2017