Would you like the opportunity to be mentored by the most successful and connected of Jacksonville leaders? Do you want to make a difference in the life of a child?
United Way of Northeast Florida has pioneered a one-of-a-kind opportunity for Jacksonville’s best and brightest to do just that.
David and Linda Stein have a vision to connect young professionals with established community leaders and ensure a greater Jacksonville for generations to come. With their generous $1 million gift to the United Way of Northeast Florida, the Stein Fellowship was created to promote philanthropy and community leadership, and inspire students to achieve.
This program grants members of United Way’s young professionals group, Atlantic Circle, with the opportunity to build a professional and personal relationship with an established Tocqueville Society member (individuals who give an annual gift of $10,000 or more to United Way) as well as mentor a student through United Way’s Achievers for Life.
This unique to Jacksonville program was built on the premise to pay it forward. While the work is limited to a year, the benefits provided can last a lifetime. There is no better way to truly Live United.”
– David Miller, Stein Fellowship Chair & Tocqueville Mentor
Major components of the Stein Fellowship include the following:
- A Tocqueville Society mentor will be hand-selected for each Fellow. They will meet regularly to establish a relationship and mentor the Fellow on their professional and philanthropic goals.
- Over the course of the Fellowship (approximately one year), Fellows will mentor a student through United Way’s Achievers For Life initiative, and make a real difference in the life of an at-risk student.
- Fellows will attend four professional development forums centered on philanthropy and United Way’s work in the community.
- Fellows will attend a three-hour, in-depth orientation about United Way of Northeast Florida and its impact in the community. Training will also include tips on how to mentor a middle school student.
- Develop lasting connections with other young professionals throughout the program year and beyond.
- Become a member of United Way of Northeast Florida’s Leadership Circle.
- Career young professional under the age of 40
- Demonstrated leadership in professional and/or volunteer work
- Dedication to personal and professional development
- A minimum gift or pledge of $500, due upon acceptance into the program.
- Gift or pledge must be directed to United Way’s Community Impact Fund and must be exclusive of corporate match programs. To become a United Way leadership donor, participate in the Stein Matching Gift Program.
- There are two ways to make your gift or pledge:
- Through your employer’s United Way corporate campaign
- Through United Way’s Mobile Cause website
- Click Sign Up Here and then select Atlantic Circle (Young Professional) on the dropdown
- Make a one-time payment by typing $500 into the amount field and selecting the appropriate box OR make recurring online gifts over a one-year period on a monthly or quarterly basis and select the appropriate box ($42/month from July 2017-June 2018 or $125/quarterly)
- Deadline to submit application: July 31, 2017
- Interview of applicants: Weeks of August 7 and August 14, 2017
- Notification of Stein Fellows: Week of August 28, 2017
- Stein Fellow Orientation: September 2017
- Educational Forum #1: October 2017
- Matching Ceremony & Reception: October 2017
- Educational Forum #2: December 2017
- Educational Forum #3: February 2018
- Educational Forum #4: April 2018
- Class of 2018 Graduation: October 2018
How to Apply
Submit the following:
- Personal Statement
- In 300 words or less, answer one of the following:
- What do you hope to gain toward your professional and philanthropic development through participation in the Stein Fellowship?
- What is the biggest social issue facing our community today? And how would you change it?
- What do you think has been your most valuable contribution to the community of Jacksonville?
- In 300 words or less, answer one of the following:
Stein Matching Gift Program
The Stein Matching Gift Program encourages young professionals to incorporate philanthropy in their personal and professional lives through a four-year step up giving program.
An individual will make a first time gift of $500, or increase their current gift to $500, directed to United Way’s Community Impact Fund or education priority area. This gift will be matched, making the donor a member of United Way’s Leadership Circle at the Silver level of giving. Over the next three years, the donor will increase their personal gift to reach $1,000 (Silver level).
Suggested Step-Up Program Levels:
- 1st year . . . . . . . . .$500
- 2nd year . . . . . . . . $650
- 3rd year . . . . . . . . $825
- 4th year . . . . . . . $1000
A current leadership donor ($1,000 a year or more) who increases his/her gift a minimum of 10% to the Community Impact Fund or education priority area, will receive a dollar-for-dollar match of the increase. The young professional will be recognized at the combined level of giving in United Way’s Leadership Circle.
To learn more, contact Sarah Stec, Manager of Affinity Groups, at 904-390-4003.